Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Fresh Baked Bread and my Law School Foundation...

When I sat down with Evan at the new Rubicon Deli in Mission Beach, I admitted, "Evan I have never worked in a deli, but I have made thousands of sandwich's over the years for many loved ones." However, I am certain, that I know what makes a good sandwich and that is the process I discovered that is important.

Making sandwiches I realized, is much like my law school education. The foundation is the most important part. Just like the fresh baked bread Rubicon makes every single morning before opening. A world class sandwich needs to begin with amazing bread. Much like the foundation for my legal career, if I began building upon a shaky foundation the sandwich would crumble and fall apart. It took years of studying and preparing before embarking on law school. If I didn't have a rock solid foundation, I never would have been prepared for what was ahead.


Now as we all know, the first thing on that bread must always be the condiments. If you fail to put the mayo, mustard, spicy jalapeno spread or whatever your condiment of choice would be directly on the bread, adding the meat or vegetables next just wouldn't make sense. This is similar to not buying the book the entire semester and attempting to take the test after studying off someone else's outline in the final weeks of the semester. Although we often question the true meaning behind reading all of those cases in our case book, we actually need that smooth buffer (much like the mayo) in order to understand the concepts behind the law we are learning!!


Now, the good part, the meat and the cheese. This I would compare to the meat of law, and the material we learn that is actually going to be useful in practice. Now what happens when you get bad meat on your sandwich... or you thought that pepper jack sounded good with Roast Beef but it really doesn't go at all?? It throws you off!!! Your sandwich isn't what it should be. And isn't it better when you just get it right from the beginning? Much like law, if your research starts out on the wrong path, you end up backtracking, and even throwing it away and starting fresh. On one of those days when you are just too hungry to wait??!! You just eat it anyway, even if you know the quality could be much better.


Finally, the fresh veggies, oil and vinegar & spices are always key on that perfect sandwich. You know when you get to that point when you are just ready for it to be done already?? So you can eat!! That is the same patience it takes when you finish the body of a motion, however the motion will not be complete until you tie up all of the loose ends and get a signature on that? The eager anticipation of finally just turning that motion in or rather taking a bite of that sandwich already!!! Come on!!!


As you can see I am able to transition these same concepts I learned in LAW SCHOOL into the Deli!!! I knew law school prepared me for anything!!! I was ready to put on my apron and get to work!!


That is until Evan told me that actually, I would be working the front.... so I am thankful that I also have people skills, and of course somewhere along the line I have picked up a little knack for up selling :)



No comments:

Post a Comment